Friday, July 6, 2007

looking back at tomorrow

twenty-three fucking years i've been waiting to get away. my feet were already moving forward before my heart was ready to embrace that new beginning. one month left and i'm just now beginning to see the beauty that exists here. i guess that's the cycle of things. you don't notice what's here until it's gone and it's not even like i'm out and have had time to reflect on the two and near half decades that i've spent in this city.

it's gotta be the friends i've made here. that, and the fear of the unknown that lies ahead. so much ground to make up and issues to add to my repertoire. may i have the strength to take life by two hands and shake the change from its pockets. and may that change be beautiful and uplifting. because my challenges lie in my resistance against complacency. because i feel the moonbeams exiting from my toes and from the tips of my hair telling me that my dreams lay in wait for that tomorrow over the horizon.

if i was a certain flavor dum-dum, what flavor would i be? this was the question i was asked this morning as i filled out the paperwork at the local ups to have all of my apartment forms sent to the place i'll be living for the next year. i've lived at my house since i was two-barring the one year i spent at the dorms-since i was two. that's a long fucking time. but this is for real and it's been hitting me as the clock ticks closer to my future in a new city. east coast rap. east coast weather. east coast style ramen. as my dad used to say, "east coast liberalism." i have to admit that i'm pumped about that.

as blue scholars spits on their latest album, which i happen to be listening to as i write this, i have high wishes to engage in a social, cultural and political awakening and "spark a fire for the cold in the dark...more fire for the people...more jobs for the people....more music for the people."

No comments: